Tuesday 10 April 2012


The reluctant writer

Sat on the metro today,
It’s a long ride up north
To my students and their lives
Someone peered over my shoulder and cooed
“Oh you write poems!
Are you a poet?”
I slammed my notebook shut,
Tightly
And with a stiff nod
Said, “No”
Decidedly trying not to continue the conversation further.


X------------------X--------------------X




Another reluctant moment

I sat
And my thoughts reeled above my head.
Letters forming words
Words forming voice
Voice slowly nudging me
To pen them down;
On a forlorn empty
Piece of paper.

But,
I stopped myself
How could they form sentences?
How could they form daunting
Prose-pieces
Or eloquent poetry
Long, extended
Like an extension of my mind itself.
Thread of my thoughts,
Intimate to me
In pen and paper,
How intimidating.

What if I were compared
To others;
To parents,
Scrutinized.
“Hmmm, you know what,
I think I would change the sentence there?”
“Is this what you mean here?”
“There is a grammatical error there.
Eloquant is spelled ‘eloquent’ and it means
Fluent and effective use of language.”
My throats start to constrict,
The roof of my tongue dries
I feel exposed, too exposed
Like my bones itself jutted out.

No more, no more
I am not deserving 

No comments:

Post a Comment