Wednesday 11 April 2012


The villager

I walked in the village path, 
into an old house where
an old lady sat by the fire.
"Perhaps a wandering soul could
warm herself by your fire?"
i asked.
she poured me a mug of rice wine
and continued to blow into the fire.

I watched her and suddenly a fierce hatred
welled up in me.
One, I could not explain why or how.
She sat and blew into her fire
And resentment for being who she was
consumed me as i drank her wine.

"Who shall i be but this, where shall i go from here?"
she asked, answering my gaze.
i wish i knew how it was to be her.
Oblivious, unaffected and resolute.
Her life began here and would end here
While I, fleeting and inconsistent would remain
I think my resentment towards her
was not being able to be her.

No comments:

Post a Comment